Subject: Case Study: Dolphins & Fishermen

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 4 Jan 1996 11:35:35

Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 11:40:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET"  1-JAN-1996 19:50:28.77
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Net-wrecking dolphins anger Cy

Date:         Mon, 1 Jan 1996 16:41:01 -0800
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         r.mallon1@genie.com
Subject:      Net-wrecking dolphins anger Cy
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

Net-wrecking dolphins anger Cyprus fishermen

    NICOSIA, Dec 29 (Reuter) - Cypriot fishermen will try out
hi-tech echo devices to warn off dolphins wrecking their nets
and receive compensation from a special fund, a fisheries
official said on Friday.
     "In two or three weeks we will be trying out
echo-generating transponders which we will put on boats. It will
be experimental," said Cyprus Fisheries Department director
Andreas Demetropoulos.
     Cypriot fishermen have complained for years that dolphins, a
protected species, were getting tangled in their nets and
ripping them. There have been few reports of dolphins dying in
the nets.
     "There are plenty of them which damage fishermen's nets and
we had lots of complaints that their catch was getting away,"
Demetropoulos said.
     The dolphins are said to swim away from nets when they hear
the echo emitted by the transponders. They have already been
tried out with success in Tunisia.
     Fishermen and the department will also set up a compensation
fund for damaged nets, Demetropoulos said.