Subject: Case Study: Free Willy [cont.]

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 17:06:59

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 1996 17:10:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET"  8-JAN-1996 10:54:37.59
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Re[2]: ``FREE WILLY'' WHALE TO START OWN TREK TO FREEDOM

Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 1996 21:40:57 -0800
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         "William P. (Bill) Russell" <brussell@harborside.com>
Subject:      Re[2]: ``FREE WILLY'' WHALE TO START OWN TREK TO FREEDOM
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

At 07:47 PM 1/6/96 -0500, rbaird and/or DLFNDR@aol.com wrote:

>I'm very curious as to the opinions of MARMAMers on this situation.  Does
>anyone really feel that Keiko has any reasonable chance of surviving if and
>when he is returned to the wild?  And what are the real odds of being able to
>locate his original family group. etc? Personally I'm skeptical, and I wonder
>if Keiko wouldn't be better off just remaining in Oregon, and have the money
>spent on finding him a companion from Orcas already in captivity.

I'm certainly no expert, but as a member of the Oregon Coast Aquarium I feel
that a return to the wild MUST be the long term goal.  I concur with what I
think is the implication of this post, that chance of surviving is very low
in the short term.  But in the long term: who REALLY knows?  I feel that
that we must try to rehabilitate him and do all we can to prepare him for
release.  This preparation may well include trying to find him a mate.
Eight or ten or twenty years from now we will be in a position to answer the
question being asked.

| William P. (Bill) Russell              |
| P.O. Box 2029                          |
| Bandon, OR 97411                       |
| Phone: 503-347-3683  Fax: 503-347-6303 |
| brussell@harborside.com                |
| Where the Coquille River meets the Sea |