Subject: Case Study: Free Willy (1/11/96)

Michael Williamson (whe_william)
Mon, 11 Jan 1996 21:45:57

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 21:54:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Williamson <WHE_WILLIAM@FLO.ORG>
To: whalenet@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU

From:	SMTP%"MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET" 11-JAN-1996 10:22:23.32
To:	WHE_WILLIAM
CC:
Subj:	Keiko

Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 1996 23:36:13 -0600
Sender:       Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
              <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
From:         Anne Doncaster <adncstr@inforamp.net>
Subject:      Keiko
To:           Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>

There seems to be a common theme in the comments from many
scientists vis-a-vis Keiko and the money "wasted" on him.
The theme is that wildlife species are important, individuals of a
wildlife species are not.

In terms of humans, most people do not see the two as being
incompatible. I think most of us would agree that to discount
the life of an individual human, on the grounds that the individual
was not a member of an endangered species, would be highly immoral.Is
it that a moral hierarchy exists within the animal kingdom in which
animal welfare applies only to humans?

The protection of the individual animal from human abuse is the
mandate of the animal welfare/rights movement and we receive funding
from members of the public who share our concern.  I suspect,therefore,
that the outrage expressed against the funding of Keiko is a general
condemnation of the objectives of the humane movement. If so, then
all I can say is how have we failed to reach you?

However, leaving aside your opinion of the humane movement, if the
bottom line is that you want money, wouldn't your time be better spent
earning public support rather than uniting in a vitriolic attack on
humanitarians who have succeeded in doing so?.

Anne D.

Anne Doncaster
International Wildlife Coalition
P.O. Box 461