Subject: Info: NO EXCUSE FOR WHALING, SAYS MI (fwd)

Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:29:10 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 11:30:00 UTC 0000
From: r.mallon1@genie.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: NO EXCUSE FOR WHALING, SAYS MI

NO EXCUSE FOR WHALING, SAYS MINISTER

  By Alison Little, Political Correspondent, PA News
   Fisheries Minister Tony Baldry said today he expects the international
community to back Britain's opposition to lifting the moratorium on commercial
whaling.
   He was speaking as nations prepared to meet in Aberdeen for the annual
conference of the International Whaling Commission.
   Japan and Norway are pressing for a relaxation of the ban, but Mr Baldry
told
BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We can see no economic or social justification
for whaling.
   "I think the whole international community will be seeking to press Japan
and
Norway this week to give up whaling."
   He said whaling was a very cruel form of hunting, in which at least four of
every 10 whales sought did not die instantly.
   He insisted that although some whale species populations may now be of a
sustainable size, this did not mean they should be exploited.
   "Norway and Japan are two of the wealthiest countries in the world.No-one in
Norway is going to go hungry if they can't kill whales.
   "A whale, when it is alive, is a very beautiful creature of creation. When
it's dead, it's just a few tons of meat.
   "I don't think Norway or Japan really need those tons of meat to sustain
their economies," said Mr Baldry.