Subject: Case Study: Of Lobsters and Whales 2

Tue, 6 Aug 1996 15:36:44 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:35:41 -0700
From: Jim Moore <jjmoore@ucsd.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list MARMAM <MARMAM@UVVM.BITNET>
Subject: Re: news clip - whale traps

I don't know if it would be cost-effective, but wouldn't the whale/lobster
pot problem be eased if there was some way to get the buoys well below the
surface?  I suspect it'd be *technologically* feasible to put a
pinger-activated spool on the traps, so that a fisherman could 'release' a
float line only when retrieving the trap (NB, if release signals were coded
this would also prevent trap piracy).  Alternatively, a float line light
enough for a whale to easily break, with heavy hauling line either spooled
on the trap or some sort of pulley system for hooking the heavy line up
from the surface...  This _sounds_ like a problem that doesn't *have* to
be...
cheers
Jim

Jim Moore                    The secret of success is honesty and
Anthro 0532                  fair dealing.  If you can fake those,
UCSD                         you've got it made.     [Groucho Marx]
La Jolla CA 92093
fax 619 534-5946    jjmoore@ucsd.edu