Subject: Re: Right whale caught in fishing net

Yankee Fleet (yankee@tiac.net)
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:41:11 -0400

At 12:13 AM 8/8/96 -0400, you wrote:
>My son has asked whether the right whale that was sighted on
>Monday off of Gloucester has been found again.  He also
>wanted to know why no one could do anything for the whale
>when it was first sighted.
>
>Melanie Goldman

Dear Ms. Goldman -

As of yesterday evening, the entangled right whale had not been sighted
again, I am sorry to report.  We are certainly looking for it on each trip
we conduct.  The boat that first sighted the whale was not legally or
technically able to do anything for the whale.  These are endangered
creatures and it takes a very skilled and experienced team of researchers
that hold a Federal permit to disentangle whales.  If someone that didn't
know what they were doing got into the water to try to help the whale, that
person easily could make matters worse for the whale and/or get severely
injured or killed in the process of trying to help.  A compounding problem
has been the weather.  It was extremely foggy on Monday, Tuesday, and
Wednesday, which makes following a whale for any time, nearly impossible.
We are still hopeful.