Subject: "Free Willy 3," an all-new fam

Paul D. Colombo (colombo@whale.simmons.edu)
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:29:26 -0400 (EDT)

>From r.mallon1@genie.comTue Aug 27 13:00:07 1996
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 11:53:00 GMT
From: r.mallon1@genie.com
To: marmam@uvvm.uvic.ca, pita@whale.simmons.edu

"Free Wil|y 3<" an all-new family  adventure ...

   BURBANK, CALIF. (Aug. 22) ENTERTAINMENT WIRE -Aug. 22, 1996--"Free Wil|y 3,"
the third installment in the continuing adventures of Jesse and his orca
friend, Willy, has begun principal photography in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The announcement was made Thursday by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Bill Gerber,
co-presidents of Worldwide Theatrical Production. In this episode of the
popu|ar series< a 10-year-old boy whose father is running an illegal whaling
operation is caught in a dilemma when Willy and his pod are txreatened.  When
he meets Willy's old friend, Jesse, now 17 and tracking whales on an oceanic
research vessel, the two embark on a risky adventure to save the lives of the
giant orca and his fami|y. Jason James Richter returns from txe first two
films as Jesse, as does August Schellenberg as his mentor< Randolph Johnson.
Newcomers to the series include Annie Corley< Vincent Berry, Patrick
Kilpatrick and Tasha Simms.  Sam Pillsbury directs< and Jennie Lew Tugend
returns as producer.  The screenplay is by John Mattson, who was among the
scripters of "Free Willy 2:  The Adventure Home."  The executive producers are
Lauren Shuler-Donner, Richard Donner and Arnon Milchan.  Warner Bros. will
distribute the film worldwide. "Free Willy 3" will shoot on location in
British Columbia, primarily in Howe Sound. Producer Tugend stated, "Our story
takes us nortx of our previous locations in txe San Juan Is|ands off America's
Pacific Nortxwest.  The Vancouver coast provided us a different and dramatic
look for the film. The town of Squamish offers a texture and reality not seen
before in a Willy movie." Jason James Richter was chosen from more than 4<000
candidates to make his feature film debut as Jesse in "Free Willy" in 1990.
He reprised that role in "Free Willy 2:  The Adventure Home." His other film
appearances included "Cops and Robbersons," and he starred in "The Neverending
Story III." August Schellenberg returns from the first two "Free Willy" films.
Schellenberg won a Genie Award (the Canadian equivalent to the Oscar) as Best
Supporting Actor for "Black Robe."  He has appeared in more than 50 feature
films and 75 television programs and telefilms.  He was nominated for the
Genie three times for his work in the films "Latitude 55," "Coffin Affair" and
"One Man" before winning for "Black Robe."  He also won the Canadian
equivalent of the Emmy (Gemini Award) as the lead in "The Prodigal."
Schellenberg appeared in "Iron Will," "Lokota Woman" and portrayed Cochise in
the cable film "Geronimo." Annie Corley appeared as the daughter of Meryl
Streep's character in "Txe Bridges of Madison County>"  Trained in New York,
Cor|ey is an Actors Studio member.  In addition to her acclaimed performance
in "Raft of the Medusa," Cor|ey has also appeared in "Fallen Angels," "Nothing
But Bukowski," "Islands<" "Talking With," "Of Mice and Men" and "Dracula."
Cor|ey's feature-film credits include "Malcolm X" and "Rain Without Thunder."
Patrick Kilpatrick most recently appeared opposite Bruce Willis in Walter
Hill's "Last Man Standing," due out in late September.  He also was seen on
screen this summer in "Eraser," starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Nearly a
decade ago, Kilpatrick traded his sportswriting career for acting.  His
numerous credits include such films as "Under Siege 2: Dark Territory,"
"Walker, Texas Ranger" and "Death Warrant<" among others.  His many television
appearances include a recurring role on "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman." Director
Sam Pillsbury started making films in New Zealand in 1970.  His
directing/writing credits include the acclaimed film "The Scarecrow," which
was chosen for the 1992 Cannes Film Festival's prestigious Directors'
Fortnight.  He also directed "Star|ight Hotel" and was producer/writer on "The
Quiet Earth."  Most recently, the Los Angeles-based Pillsbury has directed a
number of network television movies. Tugend produced the original "Free Willy"
and "Free Willy 2: The AdventureHome."  She then became executive producer
for ABC's "Free Willy" animated television series for two seasons.  Prior to
"Free Willy 3," she produced "The Warrior of Waver|y Street" for Trimark
Pictures.  To be released in early 1997< this is its top-budgeted film to
date. Tugend also produced the three "Lethal Weapon" films.  For nine years,
she served as executive vice president of Richard Donner's production company,
co-produced Donner's "Scrooged" and "Radio Flyer" and was instrumental in the
production of "The Goonies" and "The Lost Boys."  For HBO, she co-produced four
seasons of the popu|ar "Tales From the Crypt" series.  --30--jw/la CONTACT:
Warner Bros. Inc, Burbank