Subject: Which species of whale in the Arctic

Yankee Fleet (yankee@tiac.net)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:10:13 -0400

t 11:01 PM 8/25/96 -0700, you wrote:
>My family was watching a National Geographic Special on the Arctic.  They
>showed a whale that has a tremendous jaw bone.  Unfortunately, the
>species has been reduced to only a few hundred because of the whaling
>fleets.  They were prized for their gigantic jaw bone. Please let us Know
>the common name of this rare whale.  If there is any additional info
>available about this species, please send it to us.  Thank You!

Dear Mr. Denker -

The whale that you were watching was called the Bowhead whale (aptly
named!).  They are very similar to a species in the North Atlantic called
the Northern Right whale, also very endangered.  There is a special site on
the Internet that might be of interest to you called WhaleNet.  Their
address is

http://whale.simmons.edu

This site has wonderful information about the plight of the Right whale and
even has one satellite tagged so that visitors can follow its path of
travel.  Very interesting.  Otherwise, I suggest looking through the Sierra
Club handbook on Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises by Stephen J. Leatherwood.
It's a wonderful guide and may offer you more specific information on the
Bowhead whale.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Sincerely,

Lisa Foerster