Subject: Re: killer whale questions (fwd)

Michael Williamson (williams@whale.simmons.edu)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:37:15 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 96 12:32:24 EST
From: Dagmar_Fertl@smtp.mms.gov
To: TIAC CUSTOMER <username@tiac.net>, williams@www1.wheelock.edu,
    ask@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Re: killer whale questions

     1.  Killer whales (orcas) use their teeth to catch prey.  Killer
     whales eat a wide variety of food including other marine mammals,
     fish, sharks, birds, and turtles.

     2.  Killer whales use their tail (flukes) to propel themselves through
     the water.  By rapidly moving the tail, they could gain enough
     momentum to jump.

     3.  Killer whales can feed individually, or work together to catch
     prey.  The latter is very interesting to watch.  Killer whales have
     been seen to feed coordinated to catch marine mammals and to corral
     fish into tight balls.  Killer whales could either use echolocation
     (sonar) to find food, or look for it with their eyes, or even just
     listen for the food to make sounds.  If the killer whale doesn't make
     sound, prey like marine mammals, wouldn't be able to tell as quickly
     that a killer whale was nearby.

     4.  I'm not sure I'd agree with the idea that killer whales would not
     attack people.  There is a famous incident of a pilot whale that
     grabbed a lady by the thigh that was swimming with it.  Killer whales
     and other dolphins are wild animals, and people need to remember that
     it can be dangerous to swim with them.  In fact, in U.S. waters, it is
     against the law to swim with any type of marine mammal.  There is also
     an incident of a trainer that was killed by a killer whale in
     captivity.

     For the most part, killer whales seem to be "tame" in captive
     situations, and work well with their trainers.  Also, in the wild,
     many people in some locations will kayak with the whales swimming
     around them...quite safely.