Subject: shark: Hunter says shark must be (fwd)

Michael Williamson (
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:18:31 -0500 (EST)

J. Michael Williamson
   Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <>
   Associate Professor-Science
   Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
fax:    617.734.8666, or 617.566.7369

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue,  4 Mar 97 12:46:00 GMT 
Subject: QLD: Hunter says shark must be

QLD: Hunter says shark must be killed

   BRISBANE, Feb 28 AAP - A shark menacing the Whitsunday islands
must be killed or it would strike again, possibly fatally next
time, a north Queensland shark hunter said today.
   Vic Hislop, who runs Hislop's Great White Shark and Whale Expo
at Airlie Beach, said he believed the same shark - a tiger in his
opinion - was responsible for three attacks in the area this year
and authorities must act quickly to catch and kill it.
   An Italian man, 30, had his left arm badly savaged today when
attacked by a three-metre shark around midday while scuba diving in
the Nara Inlet at Hook Island in the Whitsundays.
   "The shark has to be caught or this is just going to continue,"
he said.
   "Actually, they say it's two (attacks), but it's three (in this
   "There was another man in between (today's attack and another on
January 27) who got 38 stitches. It was kept quiet.
   "So we're talking about that same area with three attacks and
you can bet your life it's the same shark."
   The diver was transferred by boat to nearby Hayman Island, which
has medical facilities and a helipad, collected by the Queensland
Emergency Services rescue helicopter and flown to Townsville for
hospital treatment.
   The tourist, whose name was not available, was in a party of
about 20 divers and support crew on the vessel Azzurra which is
operated by Kelly Dive - Whitsundays.
   In another shark attack today, on the Gold Coast, a 21-year-old
woman was bitten on the left leg by what appeared to be a small
shark while she was swimming about 1.45pm in the Nerang River at
Carrara, outside the Carrara Water Sports Complex.
   Several witnesses swam from shore to bring the woman to safety
afterwards and she was taken to the Gold Coast Hospital for
   The condition of both victims was said to be stable.