Subject: Data Seal (Elephant seal) Dive info (fwd)

mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:42:54 -0400 (EDT)

>				DEPTH IN METERS

>DATE   PERIOD	8-40	40-100	100-200	200-300	300-400	400-500	TOTAL
>7/29/97	1	12	2	0	0	1	0	15
>7/30/97	1	4	11	23	2	0	0	40
>8/1/97	1	1	26	11	0	0	0	38
>8/4/97	1	9	34	0	0	0	0	43
>8/4/97	2	31	38	0	0	0	0	69
>8/5/97	3	34	35	0	0	0	0	69
>8/6/97	1	26	1	8	29	0	0	64
>8/9/97	3	28	4	7	17	0	0	56
>                                                                DIVE COUNTS
>	TOTAL =	145	151	49	48	1	0	394
>
>		36.80%	38.32%	12.44%	12.18%	0.25%	0.00%
>

>I hope this come through ok, but above should be a chart of some of the
depth information on "MAC"  The first column is the date of the readings the
second is the six hour time period for the dives (0= midnight to 6am, 1= 6am
to noon etc).  The next set of numbers are the number of dives done to each
depth so the column at the right is a total of all of the dives done at that
sampling time.  I'm not quite sure what to make of this except it seems
fairly shallow.  A lot of shallow diving seems to be common, however in
seals we have released and over time we have seen them gradually go deeper.
I think it is encouraging that mosrt of the deeper dives have started in the
last week.   Hopefully if his hair holds together and all of the electronics
work, we will be getting some more data.  I'll send you a similar chart on
the duration data as soon as I can throw it together.

>Regards,
>
>ge

Greg Early
Edgerton Research Laboratory