Released- January 11, 2001
Lucky stranded on October 28, 2000 on Popham Beach in Phippsburg, Maine. A Marine Animal Lifeline rescue team responded and transported him back to the Lifeline's rehabilitation center.
Lucky was suffering from a broken right foreflipper and pneumonia. An x-ray revealed a fracture mid-shaft of the ulna on the right foreflipper. He was depressed and moderately dehydrated. His blood values indicated an infection and a medical treatment plan was designed and implemented. Lucky was in rehabilitation for nearly 11 weeks and was judged ready for reintroduction to the wild in early January of 2001.He was released at Goose Rocks Beach in Kennebunkport on January 11, 2001. See a movie of his release.
Data and Maps
"Lucky" Notes: At end of Tag Signals (May 25, 2001)
- Data Sheet"Lucky" Satellite Fixes, the Harbor Seal
- Movie of Lucky's Travels
- Tracking Map - , Present and Past Locations Map
Map of Lucky's Track
Maps of Lucky's Track by Month
Feb. Locations near Stellwagen Bank
Jan. 19 Location, Pickering Island, ME (color blank map, GOM blank map)
- Reports - "Lucky", the Harbor Seal
134 days...Time of track...
Around 1000...Number of locations...
@ 7 locations per day...average number of "hits" per day
2,650...distance of the track (distance between those hits...a minimum distance traveled)
@ 20 miles per day...average speed...(divide by 24 to see what that is in miles per hour)
- Analysis Tools
- Map Generator Generate your own maps of any location.
- Distance Generator Use this to determine the distance and heading between any two fixes.
- Addition blank maps for plotting positions.